Spicy Braised Artichokes
Simple and deliciously perfect! A braised, flavorful artichoke is a treat and this recipe is fantastic. It takes a bit of prep time but it is well worth it. We enjoy serving these as a first course for a dinner party but they are also a great vegetarian option or a light dinner option with a nice glass of white wine. This recipe was inspired by a dear friend and one of our favorite chef’s Dena Marino.
If you prefer, thyme, mint or Herbes de Provence to oregano try any of these for a flavor variation.
For extra flavor, brown all six artichokes cut side down until they a golden brown.
Now don’t forget to set a pretty, artichoke inspired table.
Spicy Braised Artichokes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours
- 2 lemons
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 large globe artichokes
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 T olive oil,
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 1/4 t of crushed red peppers (more or less to taste)
- 1–2 t of dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 32 oz box of organic low sodium chicken stock/broth
- Rinse each artichoke and trim 1/2-inch off of the stalk.
- Trim 1-inch off the top of each artichoke.
- Trim the remaining leaf tips, by snipping with a pair of scissors.
- Cut each artichoke in half, from stalk to tip, and remove the choke with a spoon.
- Remove the tough outer leaves and trim the outside of the stalk with a paring knife.
- Place the six prepared artichokes on a baking sheet or pan and squeeze the juice of 1 lemon on cut surfaces to avoid browning.
- In a large flat bottom sauté pan large enough to accommodate all six artichokes, heat the olive oil and butter on med-high heat until it bubbles.
- Brown all six artichokes cut side down until they a golden brown. Reduce heat and add the stock.
- In a bowl or measuring cup combine the white wine, garlic red peppers, the juice of the remaining lemon and oregano, and add mixture to the pot. Simmer and cover the pan.
- At this point you can leave it simmering on the stove or put the pan into a 400F oven for approximately 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- When done the artichokes should be tender and the leaves should detach easily.
- Remove and plate each artichoke in individual bowls.
- Add the lemon zest to the braising broth and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle each artichoke with some braising broth.
- Serve with crusty toasted or grilled bread simply rubbed with a garlic clove for flavor.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh oregano or herbs, some shaved pieces or Parmigiano-Reggiano and some cherry tomatoes for color.
- Serving Size: 6