I have a lot to be thankful for and have learned so much from my Mom, but this has to be the most epic idea yet. It’s simple and deliciously genius. Every time we make this people love it. Imagine the most perfect Mexican inspired version of lasagna and mac and cheese. The recipe is very forgiving and you can use any kind of tamale, cheese or salsa. It’s muy delicioso no matter how you choose to mix it up. Note to self…make more next time.
In a 9 x 13 lasagna pan layer sliced tamales.
Scatter the roasted chicken evenly over the tamales.
Drizzle tomatillo salsa as the next layer.
Add spoonfuls of sour cream.
Using a spatula spread the sour cream to create an even flat layer and then grated cheese.
Note: The pan we used was larger than 9×13 and we did use 2 dozen tamales. If you are using a 9×13 pan 12-16 tamales should be plenty.
Smothered Tamale Casserole
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 dozen green chile, red chile or chicken tamales, husks discarded, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 16oz jars of Frontera Tomatillo or Arriba Green salsa
- 1–24oz tub of sour cream
- 16oz of shredded Jack cheese or mexican cheese blend
- 1 rotisserie chicken, skinned and shredded
- a handful of clantro
- In a 9 x 13 lasagna pan layer sliced tamales.
- Scatter the roasted chicken evenly over the tamales.
- Drizzle tomatillo salsa as the next layer.
- Add spoonfuls of sour cream.
- Using a spatula spread the sour cream to create an even flat layer.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Repeat with an additional layer or until pan is full.
- Make sure to end with sour cream and cheese on top.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven until bubbling about 20-30 minutes.
- Top with fresh cilantro.
Courtesy of Lorraine Wardy
- Serving Size: 8-10