I love the flavor and essence of Orange Blossoms. I grew up enjoying the sweet aromatic flavor in my grandmothers Rice Pudding. The perfume and flavor of the sweet citrus blossoms, warmed me then in a way that still comforts me today.
Pepper is not a big fan of rice pudding, she’s a crunchy, not creamy dessert lover. Knowing how much I love Orange Blossoms she was inspired to try her own variation from, Donna Hay’s new cookbook; Fast, Fresh, Simple.
She created a simply perfect parfait, using Orange Blossom water, whipped with creamy Greek yogurt, layered with sweet honey and topped with crunchy pistachios, sweet/tart pomegranates and fresh mint.
Place the yogurt, cream and orange blossom water in a bowl and whisk until thick. Divide half the honey among serving glasses, spoon over the yogurt mixture.
Top with the remaining honey, pistachios, pomegranate seeds and fresh mint.
Orange Blossom, Honey Parfaits with Pistachios, Pomegranate, Mint
My favorite yogurt is made by Greek Gods and is called Lebni (or kefir cheese).
In Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cultures it is traditionally is eaten by scooping it with pita bread after drizzling it with olive oil and dried mint. If you can’t find it, use your favorite brand of plain Greek yougurt.
- Yield: 4 parfaits 1x
- 1–1/2 cups thick plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup half and half cream
- 1 teaspoon of orange blossom water
- 1/4 cup, roasted and shelled unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup, fresh pomegranate seeds
- 8 mint leaves, chiffonade (technique of rolling and cutting into strips)
- Place the yogurt, cream and orange blossom water in a bowl and whisk until thick. Divide half the honey among clear parfait serving glasses, spoon over the yogurt mixture and top with the remaining honey, pistachios, pomegranate seeds and fresh mint.
This is one of my favorite desserts! I love the combination of flavors.