This salad creatively uses the seasons freshest tomatoes, sweetest watermelon and salty *Halloumi cheese, finished with Kalamata pesto for a perfectly balanced bite!
*Halloumi is a semi-hard, unripened brined cheese made from a mixture of goats’ and sheep milk, and sometimes also cows’ milk. It has a high melting point and can easily be fried or grilled.
Tomato, Halloumi and Watermelon Salad
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 C Pitted Kalamata Olives
- 1/4 C Basil Leaves, packed
- 1/8 C Toasted Pine Nuts
- 1/8 C Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- 1/4 C Olive Oil
- 4 Slices of Halloumi Cheese
- 8 Slices of Heirloom Tomatoes
- 4 Round Slices of Watermelon
- 1 C of Arugula
- Olive Oil
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- Olive Oil
- Balsamic Reduction
- Basil Leaves
- Process olives, basil, pine nuts and cheese in a food processor. Slowly add oil at the end of processing.
- Rub Halloumi slices with olive oil and grill over medium heat for 1 minute per side. For presentation purposes cut the watermelon in round slices, roughly the size of the tomato slices using a cookie cutter or glass as a guide.
- Using 4 chilled plates, stack 1 slice of tomato, then 1 slice of watermelon, 1 slice of grilled Halloumi, then top with another slice of tomato.
- Finish with a dollop of Kalamata pesto.
- Garnish each plate with arugula leaves, grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and olive oil.
- Drizzle plates with a touch of balsamic reduction and top with basil leaves, whole or shredded.
Adapted From | Chef Jonathan Leichliter, Justice Snow’s