I can’t describe in words how absolutely, awesome these hot dogs taste. I named them, “Heavenly Haute Dogs”, because well, first they’re heavenly and like a good designer dress they are just better than anything off the rack. They are intensely flavored and texturally layered to create the perfect and seriously tasty bite. Even if you think you don’t like hot dogs, I challenge you to try these, I bet I can change your mind and your taste buds.
I analyzed every component and made each a tasty layer to create fireworks in your mouth. Let’s look at each.
If you’re gonna eat it, make it count…go for a soft pretzel bun.
The Dog and Marinade
Size does matter, thick and long, organic and nitrate free. Create an intensely flavored, lightly charred dog with crispy edges. Diagonal cuts along the length of the dog, drenched in a combination of your favorite barbecue sauce and Worcestershire sauce will help to caramelize the dogs and make you a hero!
Be healthy and make it a salad, by layering sweet, spicy and crunchy.
Spicy is in, so add a little Jalapeño, yellow mustard and some spicy ketchup for a bright pop of flavor. Top with Cornichons and serve extras to munch on. We like to assemble the dogs before serving because we know how they taste best. Serve with a mini-condiment bar including some extra barbecue sauce and lets your gets top each bite off.
The Assembly and Presentation
Last important step, spread Jalapeño yellow mustard on one side of the bun and Spicy Ketchup on the other. Pile relish salad on the bottom bun, top with a hot dog and top bun.
Heavenly Haute Dogs
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 Heavenly Haute Dogs 1x
Hot Dog and Buns
- 4 Large, Uncured, Organic Beef Hot Dogs (we like Applegate ®)
- 4 Pretzel Sausage Buns (we like PRETZILLA ®)
- 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 small seedless Persian cucumber, skin on, small diced
- 1/2 cup quartered cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced peperoncini
- 1/2 cup celery leaves
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Cracked Pepper
- Cornichons (small pickled gherkins-i.e. tiny little pickles)
- Jalapeño yellow mustard
- Spicy Ketchup
- Butter or Mayo (to grill buns)
- In a bowl, place all of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Toss and set aside.
Hot Dog and Buns
- Make diagonal cuts half way through and and 1/2″ apart along one side of each dog, (take care not to cut all the way through).
- Mix the barbecue and Worcestershire sauces and marinate the dogs about 1/2 hour, longer if possible.
- Grill the dogs over medium heat on all sides, until they blossom and begin to char, baste with remaining marinade, remove and set aside.
- Just before assembly, cut each bun, brush lightly with butter or mayo and lightly grill cut side down until lightly charred.
- Spread Jalapeño yellow mustard on one side of the bun and Spicy Ketchup on the other. Pile relish salad on the bottom bun, top with a hot dog and top bun. Insert a long pick through a Cornichon and place in the middle of each Heavenly Haute Dog and serve.
Relish Salad Inspired By Justin Chapple