Mahi-Mahi Topped With, Nutty, Herb Packed Pesto
I’m in love with this Mahi-Mahi fish preparation. Yesterday we stopped by the “Hanalei Dolphin Fish Market” (our favorite fish market on Kauai) and couldn’t resist the super fresh Mahi-Mahi. We went home, poured a crisp glass of Sauvignon Blanc (also our favorite) and took a walk out to the garden for some inspiration.
We noticed our cilantro and basil were coming up to play and decided to bring them to the party, we picked a big bunch of each, and this is what we came prepared!
We enjoyed the fish, wrapped in lettuce leaves from our garden topped with extra pesto, sliced avocados, and a squirt lime. It would be great served with a beautiful salad or any side.
Grilled Mahi-Mahi, Walnut, Cilantro, Basil Pesto
The trick in keeping your fish moist is not to overcook!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 portions 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 2–6oz portions of Mahi Mahi w/skin
- 2 oz of walnuts
- 1/4 cup of cilantro
- 1/4 cup of basil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of mayo or vegenaise
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 lime, cut in half
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 6 hearty lettuce leaves, for wrapping
- In a mini food processor blend the walnuts, cilantro, basil, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil to create the pesto, set aside.
- Heat a clean, oiled grill or a non stick pan or cast iron pan. We used our EVO Flattop Grill.
- Brush the flesh side of the skin with mayo and sprinkle with the mixed cumin and coriander and salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill the fish starting flesh side down until it forms a nice crust and can be easily turned. Continue grilling on the skin side as you rub the pesto over the top. Grilling time will depend on the thickness of your fish and grill, so watch it.
- We enjoyed this simply wrapped in lettuce leaves from our garden topped with extra pesto, sliced avocados and a squirt lime.
- It would be great served with a beautiful salad or any side.