Caviar is perfect, simple and decadent. Our favorite Caviar this year is Petrossian “Alverta President.” Raised sustainably from white sturgeon in California waters, Alverta’s smallish sized bead has a nutty, buttery flavor. We prefer a simple, yet complete Caviar service with the Caviar taking center stage. Consider the Petrossian the “Belle of the Ball” and the accompaniments her escorts down the red carpet. The party begins in your mouth when you take the first bite.
Caviar: Red Carpet Into The New Year
The most elegant way to serve Caviar is using a Six-Vessel Presentoir, available at Amen Wardy Home.
However glass bowls will work as well. The amount served depends on the size of the serving dishes and the number of people you intend to serve. If you are going to serve caviar be generous with the service.
Blini or toast is the never-ending dilemma? The answer depends on your texture preference. I like toast and Pepper prefers the blini.
Champagne and chilled vodka pair perfectly with caviar.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- 375g Petrossian Alverta President Caviar
- 6 Eggs
- 1 Small White Onion
- 1 Bunch of Small Diameter Scallions
- 8oz Crème Fraîche or Sour Cream
- Place eggs in a medium saucepan.
- Cover them with cool water about 1 inch deep.
- Slowly bring water to a boil over medium heat; when the water has reached a boil, cover and remove from heat. Let sit 11-12 minutes at sea level or 14-15 at altitude.
- Transfer eggs to a colander; place under cool running water to stop the cooking.
- Peel eggs and gently separate the yolks from the whites.
- Using the small holes on a box grater and gentle pressure from the palm of your hand, grate all the whites, set aside in a bowl.
- Rinse and dry the grater and repeat with the yolks, set aside in a bowl.
- Finely hand dice the onion and set aside in a bowl.
- Thinly slice the scallions and set aside in a bowl.
- Crush some ice and put it in a bowl, sprinkle some kosher salt on the ice, this will help it last longer. Nest a slightly smaller glass bowl into the ice and fill with caviar.
- Fill the other five bowls with egg white, egg yolks, onions, scallions and cream.
- Place a mother-of-pearl (nonreactive) spoon in each of the 6 bowls.
- Serve with either mini toasts or blinis.
This new American caviar, Alverta President by Petrossian is fantastic! Sustainable from mature, white sturgeon in the clear, cold waters of northern California, its smallish size bead has a nutty, buttery flavor. Alverta’s color is dark and rich. Perfect with nothing more than a mother-of-pearl spoon to transport every delectable bite into your mouth. However we like to share it by elegantly presenting it in a Six-Vessel Presentoir!